Cherchies Gumbo w File Seasoning 10oz
Hot & Spicy! Long grain rice, freeze-dried onions, green bell peppers and celery with a file seasoning and dried vegetables make this a spicy and thick soup. We suggest you use chicken and sausage, but you can try making it with any meat or seafood. Makes approximately 9 (1 cup) servings.
Net Weight: 10 oz.
What you will need:
- 8 Cups Water
- 1 1/2 Lbs. Mild Italian Sausage
- 2 Chicken Breasts, Skinned
- 1/4 Cup Vegetable Oil
- 1/4 Cup Flour
- In a large soup pot, cover chicken breasts and sausage with water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer covered for 15 minutes. Remove meat from water and set aside to cool. Save the water in reserve. While meat is cooking, make a roux in a small saucepan, by combining 1/4 cup oil and 1/4 cup flour. Stir over medium heat until browned (caramel color), being careful not to burn. Set aside.
- When meats have cooled, cut into bite size pieces. Measure reserved water to make 8 cups of liquid. (Add water if you need more.) Pour water back into cooking pot and add cut pieces of meat, and file seasoning packet from gumbo bag. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and cook covered an additional 10 minutes.
- Add entire package of gumbo mix and cook covered over medium heat for 15 minutes.
- Stir in prepared roux and cook 5 minutes longer uncovered over medium low heat or until slightly thickened. Stir occasionally.
- For a spicier gumbo, add dashes of hot sauce to individual servings (optional)
Ingredients: Enriched long grain rice, dehydrated vegetables (onion, red bell pepper, carrot, celery), freeze dried onion, freeze dried green bell pepper, freeze dried celery, file seasoning (dehydrated vegetables [garlic, onion, parsley], salt, spices, sugar, hydrolyzed soy protein, oleoresin turmeric, spice extractive, oleoresin celery, [silicon dioxide to prevent caking]). Allergens: Contains hydrolyzed soy protein. This is a gluten free product.