Cherchies Ham and Bean Soup Mix 11.5oz
A savory combination of hearty pinto beans, freeze dried green beans and select spices. It is a deliciously flavorful soup sure to bring you back for seconds! Makes about 8 (1 cup) servings.
Net weight: 11.5 oz.
What you will need:
- 7 Cups Water
- 8 oz. Cooked Ham-Diced
- 2 Tbsp. Olive Oil
- 1 Can Diced Tomatoes - 14 oz.
- 1 Medium Onion - Diced
- Beans are harvested in their natural state. Even with the most careful processing, foreign substances such as small stones may appear. Please examine contents closely. Rinse pinto beans thoroughly in cold water. Put pinto beans into a large pot, adding enough water to cover by 2 inches. Bring to a boil, cooking for 2 minutes. Remove from heat, cover and let stand for 1 hour. (OPTIONAL METHOD TO PREPARE BEANS: In a bowl or pot, cover pinto beans with water and soak overnight.)
- Drain and rinse pinto beans. To soup pot, add 7 cups of water and pinto beans. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer an additional 45 minutes.
- Sauté diced onion and ham in a pan with 2 Tbsp. olive oil over low heat until the onions are translucent. Set aside.
- After pinto beans have cooked, stir in can of tomatoes and diced ham and onion mixture from frying pan to soup pot. Add seasoning packet, vegetable pack and green beans to the pot. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer an additional 20 minutes.
- For a festive touch, sprinkle with feta cheese and/or sliced black olives (optional)
Slow Cooker/Crock Pot Instructions - Make the following adjustments to the recipe for Slow Cooker
- Add less water (1 to 2 cups) than the soup package directions indicate. (When cooking in a slow cooker, the water does not evaporate as readily as it does in stovetop cooking).
- Add the pre-soaked and softened beans and rest of the package to your slow cooker. You can add the chopped onion and garlic without cooking in olive oil.
- When cooking soups that have pasta or rice in the packages, we recommend that you cook the pasta and/or rice separately in boiling water until done to your taste, drain, and then add the pasta to your finished soup in the slow cooker. The cooking tipe for rice and pasta should be approx. 20 minutes, when cooked separately.
- When cooking soups that suggest adding meat, chicken or pork to the mixture you can add them to the slow cooker at the beginning of the cooking process along with the beans. The meats do not have to be precooked before adding them, however, you may want to remove whatever oil has accumulated.
- Cook on low 8-10 hours or high 4-6 hours.